Monday, July 7, 2014

Magic Zoo News: Alena Acker is the Giggle Berry Tree!

IRTE's latest production, THE MAGIC ZOO opens Sunday, July 13, 2014. It's our tongue-in-cheek take on the kids' shows we grew up with like THE NEW ZOO REVUE, THE MAGIC GARDEN, and ZOOBILEE ZOO.

Jeff O'Leary, guest performer and 2013 IRTE company member, asked some fun questions of our cast to get to know a little bit about the psychological trauma they went through growing up, and how children shows helped them adapt to society. The first person who would talk to him was Alena Acker:



Jeff: Tell us about the character you are playing in THE MAGIC ZOO.

Alena: I'm the Giggle Berry Tree. I'm a wise talking tree who functions as a confidant.  The animals come to me when they are feeling sad or need advice.

J: What was your favorite kid's show when you were growing up and why?

A: I was obsessed with Punky Brewster to the point that when it was taken off the air, I made a sign that said, "Bring Back Punky" and was ready to go protest at the Network.  I guess I liked it because I related to Punky a lot.  To be honest, I don't remember a lot about the show anymore.

J: Did you ever apply any "life lessons" from a children's show to your own life? Did you ever have a problem as a kid that you wished would have been addressed on a show you watched?
 
A: I definitely took to heart all of the episodes of shows that demonstrated the dangers of drugs and alcohol.  I was an extremely obedient child and teenager.  Then I went to college and that all went out the window.

A problem that I had that I wish had been addressed: "How to make your older brother and his best friend stop setting traps for you." Perhaps it was a little obscure to be relatable to kids across the board?

J: If you were a big shot television producer and could create your own kid's show, what would it look like?

A: It would be called, "You Are Not the Center of the Universe." I think that's the message kids (especially NYC kids) need these days. There would be segments about smart phone etiquette and teaching kids how to interact with actual humans.

 Well... I hope we all learned something.

Thanks, Jeff and Alena, we'll see you soon at the zoo!

Sundays, July 13, 20, & 27, 8:00 pm

at The Producer's Club
358 W 44th St, NYC
between 8th & 9th Ave.



No comments:

Post a Comment