Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Magic Zoo News: Marcia Sofley is Bonnie the Bunnie and Buzzy the Buzzard

IRTE's latest production, THE MAGIC ZOO continues Sunday, July 20, 2014. It's our tongue-in-cheek take on the kids' shows we grew up with like THE NEW ZOO REVUE, THE MAGIC GARDEN, and ZOOBILEE ZOO.

Jeff O'Leary, guest performer and 2013 IRTE company member, asked some fun questions of our cast to get to know a little bit about the psychological trauma they went through growing up, and how children shows helped them adapt to society. This time he talked to Marcia Sofley:




Jeff: Tell us about the character you are playing in THE MAGIC ZOO.

Marcia: I will be playing Bonnie the Bunny - a little rabbit who likes carrots, her friends at the zoo, and playing in traffic. I was a bunny for Halloween one year - wearing a costume my mom made for me that is not unlike the one I'm wearing in this show - I liked it so much I kept wearing it as pajamas for almost a year until I wore it out.... it might've influenced my decision to play Bonnie.

J: What was your favorite kid's show when you were growing up and why?

M: "Sesame Street" - no question!  Of course, it was back when Cookie Monster did not have to be politically correct about eating his cookies.  (and he was therefore my favorite).
[Also,] I didn't have "Magic Garden" and don't remember "New Zoo Revue", but our local TV station had a show called "SPARKS" about time travel - with a cool local hangout called "Shades" where everyone wore - you guessed it - shades.  They would hire local kids as extras - and the episode I was on, I was in Shades and had to slow dance to "Take on Me" - I had never slow danced before and had no idea how - it was awkward. and public.  I got to school the next week and one of the teachers said "nice dancing" snicker snicker.  Just in case you don't believe me - here's a link to "Sparks" - around the 5 minute mark you can see "Shades" - I'm not in this episode but its pretty 80slicious. http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/video/1180973/ 

J: Did you ever apply any "life lessons" from a children's show to your own life? Did you ever have a problem as a kid that you wished would have been addressed on a show you watched?

M: How to slow dance?  Not to have your first slow dance with a stranger on TV?  How to overcome fear of middle school dances caused by such pre-adolescent slow-dancing humiliation? 
Well, I do still like cookies.  I remember one of those shows had a segment about a kid "Rollercoaster Rick" who rode rollercoasters over and over again..... I tried to fulfill that legacy any time I'm near a theme park.. is that a lesson or a problem?  I'm not sure.....

J: If you were a big shot television producer and could create your own kid's show, what would it look like?

M: Probably a lot like the magic zoo...But there would be no restrictions on cookie eating or rollercoaster riding.... or eating cookies on rollercoasters.

Well... I hope we all learned something.

Thanks, Jeff and Marcia, we'll see you soon at the zoo!

Sundays, July 20, & 27, 8:00 pm

at The Producer's Club
358 W 44th St, NYC
between 8th & 9th Ave.


No comments:

Post a Comment