Monday, July 14, 2014

Magic Zoo News: Twitty is Evie Aronson!



IRTE's latest production, THE MAGIC ZOO opens Sunday, July 13, 2014. It's our tongue-in-cheek take on the kids' shows we grew up with like THE NEW ZOO REVUE, THE MAGIC GARDEN, and ZOOBILEE ZOO.

Jeff O'Leary, guest performer and 2013 IRTE company member, asked some fun questions of our cast to get to know a little bit about the psychological trauma they went through growing up, and how children shows helped them adapt to society. This time he talked to Evie Aronson:




Jeff: Tell us about the character you are playing in THE MAGIC ZOO.
Evie: I play "Twitty" the exotic bird and she is colorful like a rainbow. Twitty accepts all animals no matter their breed, color, language or position they occupy in the food chain. Twitty tries to keep everybody happy by singing with her piccolo to the delight of....only herself apparently.  Sing along with Twitty when you see her at the Magic Zoo.

J: What was your favorite kid's show when you were growing up and why?


E: I loved Sesame Street because of the multi-media - they had live action humans and puppets and then there would be an animated clip and then  there would be a short film, then back to the live action/puppets - plus a lot of singing, dancing,  and learning Spanish.

I also liked the Electric Company because they sang a lot, and MORGAN FREEMAN! and....."It's the Plumber, I come to fix the sink" cartoon is HILARIOUS!

I loved The Magic Garden for the Chuckle Patch and the Storybox - I used to recreate that show with my friends - I think I always wanted to be Paula but somehow ended up being Carole. I loved the pink squirrel "Sherlock" and just remembered that a later addition to the garden characters was "Flapper" the bird! 


I guess I learned how to tell jokes through most of these shows.

J: Did you ever apply any "life lessons" from a children's show to your own life? Did you ever have a problem as a kid that you wished would have been addressed on a show you watched?


E: The only moment I remember that I applied a kids show to real life was one day when I was about 5 years old, I saw some kids playing in the lot next to our house, where there was a foundation and construction was just beginning so there were wheelbarrows, tools, cement blocks, 2X4's etc in the lot. This  looked dangerous to me, so I ran inside to tell my Mom about it.  As we were walking out the door to the backyard I shouted "HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY!!!" and raised my fist in the air as I led my Mom to show her where the kids were.  Yes, I thought I was Mighty Mouse.
(This was also way before I knew anything about Andy Kaufman)

J: If you were a big shot television producer and could create your own kid's show, what would it look like?
E: If I produced a kids show I would have singing, dancing, lots of jokes - puppets -  and it would emphasize physical exercise and laughter as ways to help you stay in a good mood...... Also would have a lot of celebrity cameo appearances like Joseph Gordon-Levitt tap dancing, Ryan Gosling playing a ukulele and Mark Ruffalo telling jokes. Of course as Producer, I would have to be on the set everyday. 

Well... I hope we all learned something.

Thanks, Jeff and Evie, we'll see you soon at the zoo!

Sundays, July 13, 20, & 27, 8:00 pm

at The Producer's Club
358 W 44th St, NYC
between 8th & 9th Ave.



No comments:

Post a Comment