Monday, September 14, 2015

Debunking Myths and ‘Bunking Facts About Blondes

By Marilyn “Mary” Monroe-Culpepper, Ph.D.

Our guest blogger Marilyn “Mary” Monroe-Culpepper, Ph.D. is a noted sociocultural anthropologist, the world’s leading blonde studies scholar and a natural born blonde (we swear). Her research has been published in a bunch of really important international science journals and she frequently appears as a contributor on the Antiquities Channel.

_____________________________________________


I am so excited to be a BIRTE guest blogger ahead of IRTE’s production of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY BLONDES presented by Theater for the New City's Dream Up Festival from September 16 to 20.  As the world’s top blonde studies scholar, I am always thrilled to see the celebration and proliferation of pro-blonde sentiments.

When I got the call from IRTE, I was on the heels on making a huge discovery in my cutting edge research on blondes. I mean, I was literally in the middle of examining a strand of Pamela Anderson’s hair underneath a microscope, and when I say I dropped everything, I mean it. I spilled everything in my petri dish when I reached for my iPhone. That’s how important IRTE’s League of Extraordinary Blondes is to the movement, and I am just happy to be a part of it.

A little bit more about me, I am not only a scholar but also a natural born towhead. Really, I am! Really! I am a native of the Indonesian Islands where you can find the world’s only dark-skinned people who are naturally blonde people. You can attribute our fair locks to the TYRPI gene, which is completely different from the gene that causes blonde hair in western and European populations. Bet you thought you knew everything there was to know about blondes!

Here’s a bunch of other facts you maybe didn’t know about us blondes:

Strawberry Head!
A Natural Blonde
  • June is Blonde Appreciation Month!
  • But September is the month when IRTE’s League of Extraordinary Blondes comes to the Dream Up Festival at the Theater for the New City
  • Strawberry blonde, the mixture of blonde and red hair, is the rarest type of blonde hair.
  • Only two percent of the world’s entire population is naturally blonde!
  • The highest concentration of natural blondes are found in—you guessed it!—northern Europe.
  • Blondes have a higher strand count than people with other hair colors, and blonde beard hair grows faster than beard hair of any other color.
    A lotta Latvians
  •  Every year, a bunch of people converge in Latvia for a festival dedicated to dyeing your hair blonde.
  • The “dumb blonde” trope reportedly originated in France in the 1770s however modern science has not established any links between levels of intelligence and hair color.
  • Germans were held captive in the Roman era, and their blonde hair was used to make fashionable wigs for ladies.
  • Ancient Romans used pigeon dung to lighten their hair; Venetians of the Renaissance period used horse urine.
    Beauty at any price



Go see The League of Extraordinary Blondes in the Dream Up Festival in the Theater for the New City. It gets my seal of approval. It’s action-packed, it’s sexy and they’re making blonde history out there. You’re going to want to listen to me—I am the single most important blonde scholar of the 21st century.


 The League of Extraordinary Blondes runs September 16 - 20 at Theater for the New CityCabaret Theater, 155 First Ave., New York, NY 10003

No comments:

Post a Comment