Friday, March 29, 2013

IRTE's Alex Decaneas

This week we're talking to cast member Alex Decaneas. He's gearing up to be the leader of the Groovy Gang when "The Groovy Gang Adventures" begins on April 6.

Did you watch cartoons like Scooby-Doo or Josie and the Pussycats when you were young?
Yes definitely, though I am not sure if Scooby and Josie were the top Hanna-Barbera cartoons of my liking.
Top Cat... Couldn't get enough of that show. Space Ghost and Birdman were close runners up. Love that Birdman theme.
When I was younger I had a crush on the blonde drummer from Josie and the Pussycats... but who didn't? Am I right? Heh...er...um.
What were your favorites?
I think I loved "Top Cat" so much because he was such a smartass. And he got away with it. As a developing smartass I felt a connection.
Can you tell me a little about the character you're playing in "The Groovy Gang Adventures"? What inspired you to create him?
I play Tad Stevens, all American boy next door, rich kid, self-proclaimed leader of the gang, lover of ascots and complete moron.
I wanted to explore the Fred role, but twist it to the idea that... what if Fred comes from a place of authority where he should have none? What would that be like?
Alex as Tad Stevens directing his film school thesis in LA.

 Did you belong to a groovy gang when you were a kid?
More of a groovy duo with my cousin... if you consider playing video games, writing stories, making stupid films, and generally being anti-social akin to teenagers solving mysteries in places they should never go.
Can you tell me a memorable adventure you had when you were young?
I remember ditching some church function with a friend of mine to explore what was out back behind the church... which was in a pretty rural area. Turned out to be (what I thought of at the time) as a huge expanse of forest. So we're running and climbing up hills and doing stupid swashbuckling shit like hitting each other with sticks, when I hear this blood curdling scream of my name.
"Aaaaaaaaaaleeeeeeeeeeeeeex!"
It's my father, and I know I've been caught. And I turn and sprint to get back to the church, but I am an uncoordinated mess and slip through some rocks, twist my ankle, and land in a huge mud pile. Needless to say the rest of the church day was... interesting.
I'm sure it was. Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions, Alex.

"The Groovy Gang Adventures" opens Saturday, April 6 with a performance at Gotham City Improv. Check out the full schedule here.

Tickets are only $6.

Are you a junior high, high school, or college student? Tickets are $3 at Gotham City IRTE performances with advanced reservations.

Too cool for school? Take advantage of the "3 for 3" deal! Tickets are $3 per person for groups of three or more with advanced reservations (only at Gotham City).

No comments:

Post a Comment