Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Two Davids, a Dueling Interview

David E. Johnston

Mr. David Jay












By Jamie Maloney

I had the rare opportunity to talk to both David Johnston AND Mr David Jay, long time IRTE collaborators, about their experiences with IRTE and the upcoming production Last Resort.


Jamie: How did you come to be involved with IRTE?

David Johnston
: I worked with Brad Barton, who is an improv comic and friends with IRTE. He knew I was starting a band called “Gift of Tongues” and that IRTE was looking for musical guests for their shows.

Nannette Deasy "Jay" declined to comment
on this interview

Mr. David Jay: When Gift of Tongues bowed out, my ex girlfriend/wife Nannette asked me to come perform at the last minute

Jamie: How long have you been a GIRTE? In which IRTE productions have you appeared?

David Johnston
: I have been a GIRTE for about 4 years. Gift of Tongues appeared in the 2013 season and in one show in 2014:

Interludes 2063, vIRTEgo Circus, and Space Probe. The 2014 show was The Scary

Mr. David Jay: Seems like forever. I started in the 2014 season with vIRTE Go-Go. In Magic Zoo I did an excerpt of my upcoming one-man show “Zoo-sical- Behind the Bars of the Human Zoo”. Then I headlined The League of Extraordinary Blondes .In 2015 I performed in every goddamn show of the season

Jamie: Do you have a favorite memory of your experiences with IRTE? What do you like most about performing in IRTE shows?

David Johnston: One of my favorite Gift of Tongues experiences was for Space Probe, when I wanted to do music that combined 70’s space funk with songs about clones. And I had Matt Dallow on theremin- which I think is one of the coolest instruments.

Mr David Jay: My favorite memory was at DIG!, when I made 4 audience feel like they had to leave the theater. I was just doing a simple monologue about suppositories and my mother’s French manicures. What’s the big deal?

Jamie: Do you have any interesting talents or abilities that people might be surprised to know about?


Mr David Jay: No. Everything you need to know is right on stage

David Johnston: For about 5 years I had a company called “The Bubble Roome” which made personal care products like soap and body butter and things like that. I started in my tiny Brooklyn kitchen and then was able to have someone else manufacture my recipes as the products got into over 100 stores.

Jamie: The current IRTE show, “Last Resort” is all about wish fulfillment. Do you have a secret wish you’d like to share with everyone?


David Johnston:
Gift of Tongues doing a huge spectacle show at the BAM Opera House

Mr David Jay: My secret wish: to always have a follow-spot, and a fresh glass of Maker’s Mark on stage at all times

Jamie: So what will you be doing for the show this time around?


Mr David Jay: Breaking the rules, bridging gaps, and bringing people of different colors together under a rainbow of glitter.

Jamie: Do you have anything else happening that you’d like people to know about?

David Johnston: We’re working on a video for one of our songs from our last CD, which is called Dahmeresque. It will like a bloody valentine.

Mr David Jay: I’m currently very constipated.

Jamie: Thanks David and David, I’ll see you at showtime.


Don't miss 
LAST RESORT

Friday and Saturday nights at 8 p.m.
June 10, 11, 17 & 18
The Producer’s Club
358 W 44th St, New York, NY
Tickets: $12

No comments:

Post a Comment