Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Dear Aggy: Brooklyn friends refuse to hang on Staten Island



By Aggy Quincy Adams

Every week, Aggy Quincy Adams answers New Yorkers’ burning questions in her provocative “Dear Aggy” advice column. She has read every edition of “The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette” since it first went into print in 1952. Aggy’s raw, unfiltered advice makes her the moral compass of New York.


_____________________________________________

A Staten Island man wonders why his friends never venture out to see him.

_____________________________________________


Dear Aggy: I live on Staten Island. Say no more, I already get plenty of flack for it from my colleagues and strangers alike, but I would at least expect a little leeway from my friends. Aggy, all of my friends live in Brooklyn. When it comes time to make our plans for the weekend, everything’s in Brooklyn. Flea market hopping. Artisan sandwich tastings. Pub crawls. You name it; we’re doing it on Driggs Avenue. I always make the trek to BK and usually end up having to retire early for the evening to make my long trip home. I have introduced the idea of us all meeting halfway in say, the East Village, but they say majority rules. My friends are awesome but I’m done with spending half of my Friday night on the ferry.

- A Saint in St. George

Dear Saint: Decide what makes you special enough to make several people take a ferry that leaves once an hour come and visit you. I implore you to meditate to really find the answer. If you come up with nothing, as I suspect you will, I say try making some new friends on Staten Island. Try the websites Craigslist or Meetup. The ferry is also a great place to start looking, since I know you probably spend a majority of your time on there. The television series “Mob Wives” takes place on Staten Island, so I know there are a lot of colorful characters on the island.  Good luck!


_________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Dear Aggy: I'm at odds with my parents over my undergraduate studies. I’m heading into my junior year of college and it's time for me to declare a major. I've been taking liberal arts classes for the past four semesters, because I’m trying to avoid telling them I’d like to major in journalism. They are both lawyers, and neither one of them would accept me pursuing anything other than medicine or law. I watch Late Night News every evening and I would love to someday be like Harley Harlinson and Yolanda Torres. I love writing, and I want to produce stories and documentaries that will change lives. But my parents are really firm on me staying on the Pre-Law tract, and I can’t really argue with them—after all, they pay for my tuition, room and board. I’m stuck!
 - Undeclared in Greenwich Village
Dear Undeclared: Go to Barnes & Noble, find the latest printing of “Barron’s Index of College Majors and Minors” and give it a good peruse. That should help you your on your path towards narrowing down your options. Toodles!
 
Looking for MORE good advice..?
Come see IRTE in
 
Saturdays, May 2, 9 & 16, 8:00 pm
at The Producer's Club
358 W 44th St, NYC
between 8th & 9th Ave.




 

1 comment:

  1. Yolanda Torres endorses this column. Watch Late Night News!!!
    Live! Sat. 5/9 and 5/16 @8pm....
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1575618919356847/

    ReplyDelete